Click on a question to be directed to the answer, or scroll down the page at your own pace. If you have additional questions not answered here, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How can the WRC help me?
- Do I have to make an appointment?
- What are the appointment rules?
- What are walk-ins?
- How do I schedule an appointment?
- What is the difference between e-tutoring and WebEx appointments?
- How do I access WebEx for my appointment?
- Can the WRC help me with an exam?
- Can faculty refer students to the WRC?
The WRC is here to help you at any stage of the writing process for any subject (whether academic or personal). Our tutors can help you understand an assignment sheet, brainstorm, or even begin drafting an outline. If you’ve started writing but haven’t completed your first draft, we can give you feedback on direction and incorporating additional content. If you’ve already finished writing, we can give you some tips for revising or proofreading. Our goal is to help teach you to identify and understand the strengths and weaknesses of your writing, help you find answers, and help you learn how to research, write, revise, and proofread on your own. We want you to become a better writer by learning how to improve the quality of your writing overall, not just to improve the quality of one specific paper.
All UNC Charlotte students are encouraged to use the WRC for writing assistance, regardless of class level distinction or experience. Not a student? Not a problem! Any UNC Charlotte faculty or staff can also receive writing assistance from the WRC. All you need is a UNC Charlotte email address to register.
Making an appointment is the best way to guarantee that a tutor will be available to see you. It is possible to get a walk-in session, but clients who make an appointment in advance will be seen before walk-in clients. To ensure that you don’t have to wait to be seen (or have to come back another day), we recommend that you make an appointment through our online scheduler (uncc.mywconline.com).
You can schedule up to three appointments per week, which applies collectively to all WRC locations. If you would like additional sessions, you can come into the WRC as a walk-in. If you miss an appointment earlier in the day, you’ll have to wait until the next day to schedule another appointment. However, you may come in for a walk-in spot that same day.
If you miss two appointments in a single semester, you will only be able to come in for walk-in sessions for the remainder of that semester. You will also be limited to two walk-ins per week.
Note: WRC tutors fill out a report after each appointment, which is automatically sent to you via your UNC Charlotte email. You can share this report with any instructors who may request it. If you need another copy of the report, please email us at email@example.com.
Walk-ins are clients who did not schedule an appointment by choice, who were unable to schedule an appointment because of a full schedule, or who already scheduled three appointments in the same week. If you come into the WRC as a walk-in, you may have to wait for a tutor to become available, since clients with appointments are always seen first. If a tutor is available, you’ll have to register in the system before the appointment takes place.
Walk-ins may also receive the unused minutes from another client's appointment within the same hour. However, you may only walk in until 40 minutes past the hour. After that, you’ll have to wait until the next hour to try again.
All appointments, regardless of start time, end at 45 minutes past the hour. Walk-ins who have already received an appointment on the same day must wait ten minutes past the hour to see if anyone else takes the appointment first.
All of our appointments are scheduled through our online scheduling software. You can follow these directions to make an appointment:
- Go to uncc.mywconline.com.
- Register for an account using your UNC Charlotte email address.
- Log in, using the email address and password you just registered with.
- Select the schedule for your preferred WRC location from the drop-down menu.
- Click on any white box, which indicates an open appointment. The Appointment Form will open in a pop-up window.
- In the “Meet Online?” section, choose what type of appointment you’d like from the drop down menu: face-to-face, WebEx, or e-tutoring.
- Fill out the rest of the Appointment Form.
- Click Save Appointment at the bottom of the page.
- Check the schedule to ensure that the white box you chose has turned gold. This indicates that your appointment has been saved.
- Log out.
After logging out, you will receive an email confirmation of your appointment.
Note: WRC appointments begin on the hour and last up to 45 minutes. If you’re running more than 10 minutes late, your appointment will be marked as a no-show and may be given to a walk-in who is waiting to be seen.
Both e-tutoring and WebEx are online appointments. Here are the descriptions of each appointment type:
If you make an e-tutoring appointment, you’ll upload a copy of your writing to the online scheduling system (uncc.mywconline.com) for a tutor to review. During the hour you booked for a session, the tutor will take a look at your writing and send you a feedback letter by the end of the hour. You don’t actually have to be present for the session, which makes this a great choice for clients who have busy schedules. If you need directions for uploading a document for review, visit our E-tutoring page.
WebEx (Available Summer 2017)
If you make a WebEx appointment, you’ll meet with your tutor via the WebEx video chat software. WebEx is part of the UNC Charlotte NinerNET system, so you already have an account with WebEx. This is a great choice for clients who want to meet face-to-face, but can’t physically make it to the WRC. For more information, visit the WebEx Tutoring page.
If you’ve already scheduled a WebEx appointment, you’ll need to log on to the WebEx system to start working with your tutor. You can follow these directions to get started:
- Log in to your UNC Charlotte email account at gmail.uncc.edu.
- Check for an email from your WRC tutor. The subject line will read “Join me now in my Personal Room.”
- Open the email and click on the hyperlink under “Join WebEx Meeting.” You will be redirected to WebEx.
- Fill in your name and UNC Charlotte email address and click Join.
- If this is your first time joining a WebEx meeting, you may be prompted to add the Cisco WebEx extension. Follow the prompts to install this plug-in. If you have already installed or are not prompted, skip this step.
- After the meeting room loads, you can access the chat function by clicking Chat in the top right corner.
- If desired, follow the directions for how to set up audio and/or video by visiting the WebEx Tutoring page.
Note: If you have any trouble with WebEx, you can contact technical support by submitting a support case online or by calling 1-866-229-3239. Technical support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Both UNC Charlotte and the WRC take issues related to academic integrity very seriously. (To learn more about this policy, please read UNC Charlotte's Code of Student Academic Integrity.) Your program and/or instructor may expect you to work independently on specific projects like term exams or take-home finals and may not allow any outside help. Therefore, you must obtain permission from your instructor before bringing exams or tests into the WRC.
By scheduling an appointment on our online scheduler (uncc.mywconline.com) or by seeking a walk-in appointment, you agree that the work you will bring into the WRC falls into one of the following categories:
- Your work is not considered an exam or test.
- Your work is an exam or test, but your instructor has given you permission to receive outside help on it.
If you are uncertain whether your work is an exam or test, you must consult your instructor before seeking help from the WRC.
Faculty and staff are always welcome to refer students to the WRC for additional writing support outside the classroom. We’ve put together a Student Referral Program specifically for those students that you feel could benefit from weekly, recurring appointments with the same WRC tutor for the remainder of the semester. During these appointments, your students agree to:
- participate actively each week in a consultation with an assigned WRC tutor.
- bring assignments, related course materials (as well as any of your feedback or peer feedback), research, and writing to every consultation.
- write, revise, and practice between appointments.
- forfeit referral privileges if they miss two appointments or cancel three.
- arrive on time for appointments.
- share a copy of the weekly WRC "Client Report Form" with you.
- give us feedback before, during, or after each session. If the tutor has been particularly helpful in some way, or if students were dissatisfied with some aspect of their experience, we encourage them to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- check their UNC Charlotte email often for any changes regarding the referral.*
*In the event a student's scheduled tutor is unable to meet, we make every possible effort to schedule an appointment time with an available tutor. It is rare that we have to cancel appointments due to unforeseen circumstances, but if we do, students will be notified via their UNC Charlotte email as soon as possible.