For Students


  • Loading...

What are the First-Year Writing Courses?

First-Year Writing course offerings are listed below.  You can check your advising transcript for your UWRT code. You are expected to complete your FYW requirements during your first year.


1) One 4-hour hybrid course:

UWRT 1104 in the fall or spring of your first year. (4 credit hours)

(3 hours face-to-face  and 1 hour online instruction)



2) One 3-hour face-to-face course:

UWRT 1103 in the fall or spring of your first year.  (3 credit hours)




UWRT 1102 is for continuing and transfer students with partial first-year writing credit.  For more informaiton, please contact your advisor.​


Which UWRT courses should I take?

The first-year writing curriculum is designed to meet a variety of student needs, and one course is no better or harder than the other. They are just different. All courses have the same learning outcomes and our entire faculty teach combinations of all the courses offered.

UWRT placement is determined by high school performance, SAT and ACT scores.  Your advisor will tell you which course is right for you.

What if I am an International Student or my first language is not English?

Each semester the First-Year Writing Program offers two sections of Writing and Inquiry in Academic Contexts (UWRT 1104) with an International focus. For more information, visit our International Sections of 1104 page.

What about AP credit?

A score of  4 or 5 on the AP Language and Composition exam will give you credit for UWRT 1103. 

What if I’m a transfer student with UWRT credit?

Your transcript on Banner will show what credits you’ve received from previous institutions. Transfer students have the same first-year writing requirements as new freshmen. If you transfer in ANY credit that is equivalent to a UWRT course (1101, 1102, 1103, or 1104), you have satisfied your first-year writing requirement at UNC Charlotte. Check with your advisor to see if you are required to take LBST 2301 (Critical Thinking and Communication) as part of your General Education requirements. 

If you transfer in with 64 or more credit hours from a U.S. institution, you will be exempt from meeting the first-year writing requirement for General Education. If any of your transfer credit is from a non-U.S. institution, please contact us at to see about possible exemptions. 

Who do I contact if I want my transfer credit evaluated?

Contact First-Year Writing at

Click below to View Map of Cameron: