Which First-Year Writing Course Should I Take?

You can determine your placement by checking your Advising Transcript in Banner. A score of 3, 4, or 5 on the Advance Placement (AP) Language and Composition exam wil give you credit for WRDS 1103 (WR03)Our AP research shows that all students need a foundation in first-year writing – particularly in terms of research and inquiry. Even if you are able to exempt WRDS with a 3, 4, or 5, we recommend that you take a WRDS course.

Most students will take WRDS 1104 (WR04). Some students may choose to take WRDS 1103 instead. WRDS placement is determined by high school GPA and SAT scores. The placement scores change every year; we do not have specific information regarding exact GPA or SAT scores.

NOTE: The Writing, Rhetoric and Digital Studies Department does not override First-Year Writing placement. If you do not have a WR03 code, you must take WRDS 1104 (WR04). Contact First-Year Writing if you have questions about WRDS placement.