M.A. University of Kentucky
M.F.A. University of North Carolina at Greensboro
B.A. University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Areas of Interest
- Creative writing, poetry, and non-fiction
- Rhetoric and composition
- American literature, especially Southern and Appalachian
- Writing in collaboration with other art forms
Selected Publications and Presentations
Blue Star. Winston-Salem: Press 53, 2016.
Piece Work. Cleveland: Cleveland State University Poetry Center, 2007.
Sherry’s Prayer. NC Crossroads Series. Greensboro: NC Humanities Council, 2004.
Los Hijos. Fayetteville: Longleaf Press, 2002.
Unravelings. Fayetteville: Longleaf Press, 1998.
Snake Dreams. Troy, ME: Nightshade Press, 1994.
Women's Realities, Women's Choices: An Introduction to Women's Studies. Hunter College Women's Studies Collective. (Oxford, 2014).
College Women's Studies Collective. (Oxford, 2014).
Literary Trails of the North Carolina Piedmont. Georgann Eubanks, Ed. (UNC, 2010).
Listen Here: Women Writing in Appalachia. Sandra L. Ballard and Patricia L. Hudson, Eds. (U Kentucky, 2004).
Claiming the Spirit Within: A Sourcebook of Women’s Writing. Marian Sewell, Ed. (Beacon, 2001).
Company K: From Asheboro to the Fields of France. Produced by Rhinoleap Theatre, Asheboro, NC. 2018, 2019.
Piece Work. Adapted by Brenda Schleunes. Produced by Touring Theatre of NC. 2010-2011.
- First-Year Writing (UWRT 1103/1104): Writing and Inquiry in Academic Contexts I and II
- English 2126: Intro to Creative Writing
- Liberal Studies 2212 Literature and Culture: Writers on the Edge
- WRDS 3102: The Effective Sentence
- UNC Charlotte since 2000
- Wildacres Retreat Fellowship, 2015, 2019
- Hambridge Center for the Arts, Fellowship, 2017
- Willapa Bay AiR Fellowship, 2016
- North Carolina Arts Council Fellowship in Writing, 2007, 2002
- Cleveland State University Poetry Center First Book Prize, 2006
- Linda Flowers Prize (NC Humanities Council), 2004
- Oscar Arnold Young Best Book Award (Poetry Council of NC), 1998
- Zoe Kincaid Brockman Best Book Award (NC Poetry Society), 1995