Helpful Information about visiting the WRC
Effective Writing Instruction Resources:
Below are key resources that will act as an introduction to practices grounded in research on the teaching and learning of writing.
- "Beliefs About the Teaching of Writing" from the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- Research on Writing Instruction - Slide presentation
- "Effective Composition Instruction: What Does the Research Show?"by Michael Carter, Carolyn R. Miller, and Ann M. Penrose
- "Scoring Rubrics" by David Martins
- "What I Wish I'd Known About Peer-Response Groups" by Ronald Barron
The Writing Resources Center houses two libraries:
- The Janet L. Smith Collection consists of professional journals and books on writing instruction and research. Materials are available to Teacher-Consultants of the UNC Charlotte Writing Project and to UNC Charlotte faculty, staff, and students.
- The WRC Library has books specific to student writing concerns, such as resumes, writing in the disciplines, writing about literature, technical writing, and grammar. Students may use these books in the WRC during regular hours of operation.